A MAGICAL PLACE IN HISTORIC DOWNTOWN STUART FOR WEDDINGS, RECEPTIONS AND EVENTS!

History

Harry C. Feroe, came to Stuart about 1910 and bought a portion of Ernest Stypmann’s land, which was then subdivided into town lots in what is known as the Feroe subdivision. In 1912, Contractor Sam A. Matthews purchased land in the Feroe Subdivision and on Lot 4 built a bungalow style home for himself and wife, Edith. Unfortunately Edith’s garden of flowers didn’t grow well along the shore of the St. Lucie River and within a short time another home was built near Frazier Creek at Akron and 5th St.

In June 1948 the Clifton Guest and Fishing Lodge owned by Charles S. and Hannah Herron was sold to William E. and Iona Stout. Ray Williams purchased the Clifton Lodge from Stout. Interestingly, in the early 1950s Ralph Evinrude stayed upstairs at the Lodge when he was courting Frances Langford.

Leonard and Arline Hawken bought the former lodge in 1955 for a personal home and the Hawken family lived there until 1987. The Hawkens, who were from Michigan, purchased The Flashes, a weekly shopping and advertising paper, which was first published by Bob Worden in 1950.  The Flashes Shopping Guide business was operated from the Hawkens home on Seminole St., but was eventually moved to Flagler Avenue. Leonard died in July 1976 and Arline in 2009, but Gary and Sandra Hawken continued publication, selling to nephew, Kenvin in 2008. The Flashes ceased publication in November 2010.